Gram Vaani (www.gramvaani.org) is a social technology enterprise that leverages technology at scale
to empower communities to transform their lives. We are global leaders in using cutting edge technologies but designed and deployed in appropriate ways so that our platforms are inclusive and accessible, bring responsible outcomes, and are geared towards building an equitable and just society. We started in 2009, incubated out of IIT Delhi, and are now a team of 70+ professionals with a diverse skillset that includes full-stack developers, AI/ML wizards, development communications and journalism experts, community organizers and mobilizers, creative content authors and recording artists, and business development and programme management teams. We work across 15 states in India and several African countries. Over a million users engaged with our platforms during the COVID-19 lockdown last year. We have built & continue to develop innovative & appropriate technologies for the next billion that power community radio stations, deliver health and nutrition advice to millions of women Self Help Group members, build solidarity among labour union members and social movement activists, and hold local governments accountable to provide quality social protection to vulnerable families. If you are looking for a place where you can put your technological & product development skills to increase humanism in society then Gram Vaani is the place for you – you will not only bring impact to millions of people; you will also learn how to build and use technology meaningfully in ways that can genuinely make the world a better place digitization solution.
Opening for Product Manager
Purpose of the position / Why this role is important to us
Gram Vaani is looking for someone with proven experience of product design and management. He /She will be responsible for driving GV’s long term product vision along with driving adoption of the product, setup metrics and KPI’s to measure success and work with engineering, communication and program teams to identify product enhancements.
Expectations form the role
Basis your previous experience, you will be working with the Founders, Engineering team and would be taking the product vision forward. You need to be passionate, articulate and engaging proactively with all and have good communication and analytical skills. Team player, self-sufficient but also comfortable taking guidance.
What will you be doing?
• You will work with the management team and other key stakeholders in formulating GV’s long-term product vision, goals and strategy, based on relevant market and sectoral insights.
• You will Interact and listen carefully to the end users, partners and communities we work with to identify and solve key problem areas, keeping in line with the organizations impact first and mission led objectives.
• You will translate these strategies into a concrete-plan with short term outcomes / goals to deliver on the organization’s product plans.
• You will lead and work towards building a strong product function, including, as and when required, planning, recruiting & training relevant product positions.
• You will work with cross-functional teams – Technology Development, Business development, Programs, Research, Field, Content, Moderation and other teams to identify, design, build and roll out products/features and enhancements.
• You will have a strong understanding of the technical side of building products, and will define and manage the process working closely with the Technology Development team, in building, prioritizing and monitoring the delivery of the product and features roadmap
• Understand the business metrics and requirements deeply and prioritize goals and efforts accordingly.• You will work with the business team in developing suitable commercial/business models and will be responsible for driving the growth plans for the core product offerings of the organization.
• You will also work closely with the concerned teams in identifying opportunities to improve user experience and accelerate business growth.
• You will be the primary point of contact for all product growth marketing activities of GV and will lead efforts to drive adoption of the products, setting up metrics and KPIs to measure success
• You will have the capability to influence stakeholders at all levels, using data and user advocacy as core drivers.
Experience and Qualifications
• 7+ years of experience in product management with at least 3-4 years in a B2C, Voice tech or Social-tech (ICT4D) product company
• Experience building & scaling web products (desktop web, mobile web) with a demonstrated ability to drive product planning, development and launch at significant scale and complexity
• Good understanding of alignment of product and design (UI/UX) and ability to use data + analytics to prove product hypothesis
• Good analytical skills along with strong knowledge of appropriate product performance metrics
• Experience with end-to-end product delivery and working with the management in managing the roadmap strategy and definition.
• High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
• Ability to understand the user needs and build products that are understandable, usable, and liked by consumers Experience working with the development sector and on products for the underserved user segments will be valuable
• Exceptional written, verbal communication and documentation skills with the ability to create compelling positioning/messaging strategy and present complex information clearly and concisely
• You need to have a growth mindset, exhibit curiosity, proactively resolve problems and should always be looking for opportunities to improve the way we work and also the products.
• You should be able to make decisions under ambiguity with an experimental and learning mindset.
• A strong desire to execute, drive impact, and demonstrate urgency with projects of any scale.
• A self-leader who can work independently in a fast-changing environment and collaborating with multiple teams
• You are a self-motivated, flexible, team player with solid multi-tasking, time management & organization expertise with the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities.
Why join GV
We are a lean company and growing quickly. This means the chosen candidate will need to be very comfortable managing rapidly changing requirements and accordingly envision, build and deploy new strategies and tactics to quickly respond. The person will need to make the most out of limited resources and be able to work and act independently to lead the assignment. The upside to our methods is that we are building a business that has never been seen before by providing highly desired services to millions of people who have consistently been under looked by existing service providers. The position will be at the vanguard of this transformative opportunity and working with us will be an amazing, highly rewarding experience. Gram Vaani encourages diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of gender, caste, sexuality, age, or background.
• Opportunity to work with a world-class team driving innovative tech-led solutions positively impacting underserved communities around the world.
• Opportunity to lead a team and build new products from scratch
• Opportunity to influence the Company strategy. We are a small team and your say matters.• Salaries at par with industry standards.
• Attractive employee stock options.
• Flexible working hours, work-from-home, and remote working options with prior approvals.
Write to us
While the position is based out of New Delhi, our flexible work from home policy does provide team members with an option of working from location of their choice, while they stay connect to their teams using virtual tools. We do strongly encourage team members across function to travel to various parts of the country, to interact and engage with the communities they work with, helping build empathy and a strong understanding of the user needs.
Please share your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Gram Vaani provides voice-based (multi-channel accessible) interactive media services to underserved populations in developing regions. Even poorly literate people are able to use the service through low-end mobile phones to access and share useful information which empowers them both economically and socially. Gram Vaani (Registered as OnionDev Technologies Pvt. Ltd.) is an Indian social technology enterprise with a mission to reverse the flow of information. We believe in developing and using appropriate technologies and people-driven processes to build participatory media networks that can empower communities. Our Theory of Change has organically evolved from the ground up and is based on our experience of working in the rural Information, Communication and Technology space over the last seven years.
Our Mobile Vaani platforms connect (through measurable ways) Corporate, Government Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Social Enterprises to their target groups not touched by other media channels. Over 150 social development organizations across 6 countries have used our platforms.
Mobile Vaani is Gram Vaani’s answer to building a free social media platform equivalent to Twitter for rural areas, accessible using a basic feature phone. For this, we built an intelligent IVR (interactive voice response) system that allows people to call a number and leave a message about their community or listen to messages left by others. Our flagship deployments operating in over 25+ districts across multiple states service over 100,000 monthly unique users engaging and discussing regularly on culture, local updates and announcements, government schemes and information sharing. Our users include people from marginal socio-economic group from remote locations, including illiterate and semi literate populace.
Media coverage: (It is an indicative list & non-exhaustive)
• A press release from Dvara Research & Gram Vaani, speaking about our collaborative work, highlighting the issues ailing the delivery of Social entitlements in India: Click here
• Mobile Vaani solution for reducing exclusion wins the Global Prize for Mission Billion Challenge: Click here
• Articles by Dasra – Improving Governance in India, Leveraging Mobiles for Governance
• GSMA case study on Mobile Vaani: Click here
• UNESCO-Pearson Initiative for Literacy: Case study on Mobile Vaani: Click here
• A video about Gram Vaani and our development approach: Click here
• A video about Mobile Vaani, filmed by TimesNow for the Amazing Indians program: Click here
Gram Vaani has won several awards & received global recognition over the years:
• Knight News Challenge in 2008 for low-cost technology for community radio stations
• Manthan Awards in 2009 for innovations in technology for development
• Economic Times Power of Ideas awards in 2010 for our unique business model
• mBillionth South Asia Award in 2012 and 2014 for innovations in journalism for rural areas
• Grand Challenges Rising Stars award in 2012 for improving health services in rural areas using technology.
• Flame Rural Marketing Award in 2014 for our unique advertising and marketing model
• Grand Challenges Canada award in 2016 for promoting WaSH practices in rural communities.
• NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum Challenge 2016 for our multi-layered development model through technology
• Grand Challenges India award in 2018 for immunization behaviour change through technology.
• Grand Challenges Explorations award in 2018 for promoting vaccine equity in underserved communities.
• Winner of USAID’s WomenConnect Challenge Round One in 2018
• Finalists in the Equals in Tech award in 2018 for helping bridge the digital gender divide.
• Winner under the category of ‘Building beneficiary awareness’ as part of the Ayushman Bharat – PMJAY Start-up grand challenge 2020.
• Winner of World Bank #MissionBillion Challenge
• Inducted as a Member of the ‘Million Lives Club’
• Finalist: Agami prize 2020