Gram Vaani (www.gramvaani.org) is a social technology enterprise that leverages technology at scale to empower communities to transform their lives. We are global leaders in using cutting edge technologies but designed and deployed in appropriate ways so that our platforms are inclusive and
accessible, bring responsible outcomes, and are geared towards building an equitable and just society. We started in 2009, incubated out of IIT Delhi, and are now a team of 70+ professionals with a diverse skillset that includes full-stack developers, AI/ML wizards, development communications and journalism experts, community organizers and mobilizers, creative content authors and recording artists, and business development and programme management teams. We work across 15 states in India andseveral African countries. Over a million users engaged with our platforms during the COVID-19 lockdown last year. We have built technologies that power community radio stations, deliver health and nutrition advice to millions of women Self Help Group members, build solidarity among labour union members and social movement activists, and hold local governments accountable to provide quality social protection to vulnerable families. If you are looking for a place where you can put your communication skills to increase humanism in society then Gram Vaani is the place for you – you will not only bring impact to millions of people; you will also learn how to build and talk about the use and impact of bottom-up media and voice technologies used meaningfully in ways that can genuinely make the world a better place.
Opening for Research Manager
The Research Manager will work in sync with all the vertical heads and has primary responsibility for planning, facilitating, and managing the Gram Vaani research paradigm. This includes psychographic, communications, and social science, and similar research. The Research Manager collaborates with vertical heads to support and lend guidance to sector, trends, best practice, and other similar research. The Manager will also develop compelling deliverables that will drive engagement and add value to the organisation. S/he collaborates with senior management to provide strategic input and
guidance on all research projects, directly contributing to or managing research goals, planning, design, analysis, reporting, distribution, and training. The Manager has to be a diligent researcher and writer with an ability to quickly develop deep knowledge of sector-specific issues and priorities.
Expectations from the role
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system (MEL) for all programmes/projects and at the overall org level too
• Develop and implement a robust monitoring and evaluation system that will ensure tracking of project/ programme results at different levels (outputs, outcomes, and impact).
• Develop/ Adopt an integrated database of all country projects/ programmes and ensure accountability through regular data updates, data integrity and working in collaboration with the data processors.
• Work with programme manager to ensure the collection of relevant and appropriate data needed for an effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system (MEL) which will be utilized in monitoring strengths, weaknesses and gaps in existing projects/ programs and services and for reporting on donor commitments.
• Preparation and review of existing data collection tools for the current programmes/projects and other studies.
• Incorporate field and technical team feedback to ensure the continuous improvement of data management systems within Gram Vaani.
• Provide primary or secondary analysis of all research data, which may involve the use of quantitative and/or qualitative methods, to support the development of or contributions to key findings.
• Directly contribute to and manage creation of research reports and presentations, including drafting the survey tools, findings report and presentation, and collaborating with stakeholders on design and production. Collaborate with team on key research talking points.
• Manage the process and ensure research findings/reports/presentations are announced and distributed.
• Seek and manage the development and distribution of new/innovative methods for sharing the findings with internal and external stakeholders.
• With support of communications team, support the creation and production of original content for dissemination via sector website, publications, newsletters, and other media.
• Contribute to and/or directly participate in the oral presentation and training on the findings.
BD for research-based opportunities
Any other task assigned by the management
Experience and Qualifications
• Master’s degree in social work, Statistics, Economics, Monitoring & Evaluation, Demography, Population Studies
• Demonstrated experience in data processing and management of large-scale surveys.
• Demonstrated experience of statistical packages and/ or data analysis software (e.g. STATA, SPSS, Excel) and advanced computer skills (word-processing, spread sheets, and databases) are a must.
• At least 7-8 years’ direct experience in a position of monitoring and evaluation of large-scale projects.
• Strong experience in conducting a research study including the entire evaluation cycle, from design and formulation to implementation, analysis and presentation of results and recommendations.
• Good oral and written communication skills both in Hindi and English.
• Must be result focused and be able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a multi-cultural team environment.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Technical knowledge and experience in implementation of gender and disability sensitive approaches.
• Knowledge and experience in implementing of either health care or social protection programme will be an added advantage
Why join GV?
We are a lean company and growing quickly. This means the chosen candidate will need to be very comfortable managing rapidly changing requirements and accordingly envision, build and deploy new strategies and tactics to quickly respond. The person will need to make the most out of limited resources and be able to work and act independently to lead the assignment. The upside to our methods is that we are building a business that has never been seen before by providing highly desired services to millions of people who have consistently been under looked by existing service providers. The position will be at the vanguard of this transformative opportunity and working with us will be an amazing, highly rewarding experience. Gram Vaani encourages diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of gender, caste, sexuality, age, or background.
• Opportunity to work with a world-class team driving innovative tech-led solutions positively impacting underserved communities around the world.
• Opportunity to lead a team and build new products from scratch
• Opportunity to influence the Company strategy. We are a small team and your say matters.
• Salaries at par with industry standards.
• Attractive employee stock options.
• Flexible working hours, work-from-home, and remote working options with prior approvals.
Write to us
While the position is based out of New Delhi, our flexible work from home policy does provide team members with an option of working from location of their choice, while they stay connect to their teams using virtual tools. We do strongly encourage team members across function to travel to various parts of the country, to interact and engage with the communities they work with, helping build empathy and a strong understanding of the user needs.
Please share your CV to email@example.com
Gram Vaani provides voice-based (multi-channel accessible) interactive media services to underserved populations in developing regions. Even poorly literate people are able to use the service through low-end mobile phones to access and share useful information which empowers them both economically and socially. Gram Vaani (Registered as OnionDev Technologies Pvt. Ltd.) is an Indian social technology enterprise with a mission to reverse the flow of information. We believe in developing and using appropriate technologies and people-driven processes to build participatory media networks that can empower communities. Our Theory of Change has organically evolved from the ground up and is based on our experience of working in the rural Information, Communication and Technology space over the last seven years.
Our Mobile Vaani platforms connect (through measurable ways) Corporate, Government Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Social Enterprises to their target groups not touched by other media channels. Over 150 social development organizations across 6 countries have used our platforms.
Mobile Vaani is Gram Vaani’s answer to building a free social media platform equivalent to Twitter for rural areas, accessible using a basic feature phone. For this, we built an intelligent IVR (interactive voice response) system that allows people to call a number and leave a message about their community or listen to messages left by others. Our flagship deployments operating in over 25+ districts across multiple states service over 100,000 monthly unique users engaging and discussing regularly on culture, local updates and announcements, government schemes and information sharing. Our users include people from marginal socio-economic group from remote locations, including illiterate and semi literate populace.
Media coverage: (It is an indicative list & non-exhaustive)
• A press release from Dvara Research & Gram Vaani, speaking about our collaborative work, highlighting the issues ailing the delivery of Social entitlements in India.
• Mobile Vaani solution for reducing exclusion wins the Global Prize for Mission Billion Challenge.
• Articles by Dasra – Improving Governance in India, Leveraging Mobiles for Governance
• GSMA case study on Mobile Vaani.
• UNESCO-Pearson Initiative for Literacy: Case study on Mobile Vaani.
• A video about Gram Vaani and our development approach.
• A video about Mobile Vaani, filmed by TimesNow for the Amazing Indians program.
Gram Vaani has won several awards & received global recognition over the years:
• Knight News Challenge in 2008 for low-cost technology for community radio stations
• Manthan Awards in 2009 for innovations in technology for development
• Economic Times Power of Ideas awards in 2010 for our unique business model
• mBillionth South Asia Award in 2012 and 2014 for innovations in journalism for rural areas
• Grand Challenges Rising Stars award in 2012 for improving health services in rural areas using technology.
• Flame Rural Marketing Award in 2014 for our unique advertising and marketing model
• Grand Challenges Canada award in 2016 for promoting WaSH practices in rural communities.
• NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum Challenge 2016 for our multi-layered development model through technology
• Grand Challenges India award in 2018 for immunization behaviour change through technology.
• Grand Challenges Explorations award in 2018 for promoting vaccine equity in underserved communities.
• Winner of USAID’s WomenConnect Challenge Round One in 2018
• Finalists in the Equals in Tech award in 2018 for helping bridge the digital gender divide.
• Winner under the category of ‘Building beneficiary awareness’ as part of the Ayushman Bharat – PMJAY Start-up grand challenge 2020.
• Winner of World Bank #MissionBillion Challenge
• Inducted as a Member of the ‘Million Lives Club’
• Finalist: Agami prize 2020