Gram Vaani is raising $0.5M in equity investment to build the equivalent of a Facebook for rural India! We are rapidly expanding our team and are looking for a high energy COO to join us and bring professional expertise to the company.
[Grow the Mobile Vaani network and build profitability]
- Define metrics to track network performance and community value
- Develop customer engagement processes with different business heads
- Track performance and margins on various revenue streams
- Ensure internal communication between technology, operations, project management, and business teams
- Manage telecom partnerships
- Build media exposure and actively represent the company in public forums
- MBA from a leading business school
- 10-12 years job experience, startup experience
- Media/social media/mobile content/marketing/advertising background
- Knowledge and passion for the social development sector
- Exposure to rural telecom
- Attractive employee stock options
- Salaries at par with industry standards
- Challenging and energetic work environment you will not find anywhere else
The position is based out of New Delhi but will require travel to various parts of the country, including rural areas. Please email your CV to email@example.com
About Gram Vaani
Gram Vaani, meaning ‘voice of the village’, builds innovative technologies and sustainability processes to reverse the flow of information and make it bottom-up instead of top-down. We want to empower poor and marginalized communities to voice their opinions and demands. Starting in 2009, we built a pioneering radio automation system that now runs at 30+ community radio stations in India and 5 in Africa, enabling an aggregate population of 2 million people to create their own local media. In 2011, we built a radio-over-phone citizen journalism service that in now deployed at Jharkhand and eastern UP in India, and in Afghanistan and Pakistan internationally, and has a cumulative usage of over 7000+ calls per day. We are also building similar services in urban areas for citizen-based monitoring of public services. Our technologies thus empower even poorly-literate and low-income communities to create and share local content.
We have won several awards:
- Knight News Challenge in 2008
- Manthan Awards in 2009
- Economic Times Power of Ideas awards in 2010
- Rockefeller challenge in 2012
- mBillionth South Asia Award in 2012
- Grand Challenges Rising Stars award in 2012
Gram Vaani has been founded by team of young professionals keen to follow their passion and leverage their background for creating meaningful change in society.
- Aaditeshwar Seth did his BTech from IIT Kanpur and PhD from the University of Waterloo, both in computer science, and is now a faculty at the IIT Delhi while also leading the conceptualization of new technologies that can be applied to the rural context.
- Zahir Koradia did his MTech from IIT Kanpur, and is close to completing his PhD from IIT Bombay based on much of the work on community radio that he spearheaded at Gram Vaani.
- Dinesh Kapoor did his MTech from IIT Delhi, worked with Microsoft Seattle for several years, and is now using his technical background to build robust and easy to use technologies for the bottom of the pyramid.
- Mayank Shivam studied at IIT Kanpur and IIM Lucknow, worked with McKinsey Inc. for several years before jumping into entrepreneurship, and now advises Gram Vaani on strategy and management.
Write to us quickly to be a part of the team that is creating a revolution to change the nature of media, governance, and citizen engagement for rural India.