Gram Vaani (www.gramvaani.org) is a social technology enterprise that leverages technology at scale to empower communities to transform their lives. We are global leaders in using cutting edge technologies but designed and deployed in appropriate ways so that our platforms are inclusive and accessible, bring responsible outcomes, and are geared towards building an equitable and just society. We started in 2009, incubated out of IIT Delhi, and are now a team of 70+ professionals with a diverse skillset that includes full-stack developers, AI/ML wizards, development communications and journalism experts, community organizers and mobilizers, creative content authors and recording artists, and business development and programme management teams. We work across 15 states in India and
several African countries. Over a million users engaged with our platforms during the COVID-19 lockdown last year. We have built technologies that power community radio stations, deliver health and nutrition advice to millions of women Self Help Group members, build solidarity among labour union members and social movement activists, and hold local governments accountable to provide quality social protection to vulnerable families. If you are looking for a place where you can put your communication skills to increase humanism in society then Gram Vaani is the place for you – you will not only bring impact to millions of people; you will also learn how to build and talk about the use and impact of bottom-up media and voice technologies used meaningfully in ways that can genuinely make the world a better place.
Opening for Head of Communications
Expectations from the role
You will develop, execute and manage the communication strategy and content for Gram Vaani in line with its vision and goals, to amplify issues connected with its work and build knowledge resources, ensuring key messages are effectively shared with appropriate external and internal audiences.
What will you be doing?
• Develop and improvise on the overall communications strategy for the company, as a living document with an implementation time frame and calendar.
• Lead & handle end to end production of all communication materials including institutional brochures, presentations, annual report, videos, newsletters, blogs, press releases and similar marketing materials in order to promote the company’s offerings & work.
• Vetting and improving project report submissions and working with the program teams to showcase
• Lead the design and messaging strategy for all company social media platforms
• Develop a brand management strategy at an institutional level and Implement company’s communication plan in order to increase brand awareness.
• Handle event coordination if any for organizational events and support selected project events, such as workshops and partner training sessions.
• Cultivating new relationships and building on existing relationships with other stakeholders from the sector, including journalists, analysts, bloggers, thought leaders and influencers and promote the organization’s work.
• Working with the management, product, programs team, research, Engineering, and content teams to build innovative and thought leadership stories.
• Promote GV’s story, our strategic positioning, vision and product innovations with employees, clients, media, influencers, and industry through occasional social media & other channels.
• Track media visibility. Position us in the media vis-à-vis others in the same sector.
• Manage the Gram Vaani website including planning and updating content regularly, and analytics.
• Support the management as needed, including creating systems and methods of continuous improvement of internal communications
Experience and Qualifications
• Graduate degree in Communications / Media / Public Relations / Journalism or related fields.
• At least 8-10 years of professional experience working in a similar role, in the field of Media & Development Communications.
• Knowledge of and experience with media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. Ability to represent the organization in public and to media outlets.
• Proficiency in English, extensive experience in copywriting and proofreading within a communications role. Indic multi-lingual proficiency is a plus.
• A keen sense of design & creativity is essential.
• Knowledge and understanding of communications practices, tools, social media analytics and techniques on social media.
• Interest and familiarity with various themes in the development sector – ICT4D, Gender, Health, Workforce, Media & Governance, Agriculture, Education, Livelihood and Public Policy.
• Be an independent thinker and self-starter (intrinsically motivated).
• Demonstrated ability to organize work, manage time, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
Why join GV?
We are a lean company and growing quickly. This means the chosen candidate will need to be very comfortable managing rapidly changing requirements and accordingly envision, build and deploy new strategies and tactics to quickly respond. The person will need to make the most out of limited resources and be able to work and act independently to lead the assignment. The upside to our methods is that we are building a business that has never been seen before by providing highly desired services to millions of people who have consistently been under looked by existing service providers. The position will be at the vanguard of this transformative opportunity and working with us will be an amazing, highly rewarding experience. Gram Vaani encourages diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals are encouraged to apply regardless of gender, caste, sexuality, age, or background.
• Opportunity to work with a world-class team driving innovative tech-led solutions positively impacting underserved communities around the world.
• Opportunity to lead a team and build new products from scratch.
• Opportunity to influence the Company strategy. We are a small team and your say matters.
• Salaries at par with industry standards.
• Attractive employee stock options.
• Flexible working hours, work-from-home, and remote working options with prior approvals.
Write to us
While the position is based out of New Delhi, our flexible work from home policy does provide team members with an option of working from location of their choice, while they stay connect to their teams using virtual tools. We do strongly encourage team members across function to travel to various parts of the country, to interact and engage with the communities they work with, helping build empathy and a strong understanding of the user needs.
Please share your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Gram Vaani provides voice-based (multi-channel accessible) interactive media services to underserved populations in developing regions. Even poorly literate people are able to use the service through low-end mobile phones to access and share useful information which empowers them both economically and socially. Gram Vaani (Registered as OnionDev Technologies Pvt. Ltd.) is an Indian social technology enterprise with a mission to reverse the flow of information. We believe in developing and using appropriate technologies and people-driven processes to build participatory media networks that can empower communities. Our Theory of Change has organically evolved from the ground up and is based on our experience of working in the rural Information, Communication and Technology space over the last seven years.
Our Mobile Vaani platforms connect (through measurable ways) Corporate, Government Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Social Enterprises to their target groups not touched by other media channels. Over 150 social development organizations across 6 countries have used our platforms.
Mobile Vaani is Gram Vaani’s answer to building a free social media platform equivalent to Twitter for rural areas, accessible using a basic feature phone. For this, we built an intelligent IVR (interactive voice response) system that allows people to call a number and leave a message about their community or listen to messages left by others. Our flagship deployments operating in over 25+ districts across multiple states service over 100,000 monthly unique users engaging and discussing regularly on culture, local updates and announcements, government schemes and information sharing. Our users include people from marginal socio-economic group from remote locations, including illiterate and semi literate populace.
Media coverage: (It is an indicative list & non-exhaustive)
• A press release from Dvara Research & Gram Vaani, speaking about our collaborative work, highlighting the issues ailing the delivery of Social entitlements in India: Click here
• Mobile Vaani solution for reducing exclusion wins the Global Prize for Mission Billion Challenge: Click here
• Articles by Dasra – Improving Governance in India, Leveraging Mobiles for Governance
• GSMA case study on Mobile Vaani: Click here
• UNESCO-Pearson Initiative for Literacy: Case study on Mobile Vaani: Click here
• A video about Gram Vaani and our development approach: Click here
• A video about Mobile Vaani, filmed by TimesNow for the Amazing Indians program: Click here
Gram Vaani has won several awards & received global recognition over the years:
• Knight News Challenge in 2008 for low-cost technology for community radio stations
• Manthan Awards in 2009 for innovations in technology for development
• Economic Times Power of Ideas awards in 2010 for our unique business model
• mBillionth South Asia Award in 2012 and 2014 for innovations in journalism for rural areas
• Grand Challenges Rising Stars award in 2012 for improving health services in rural areas using technology.
• Flame Rural Marketing Award in 2014 for our unique advertising and marketing model
• Grand Challenges Canada award in 2016 for promoting WaSH practices in rural communities.
• NASSCOM Social Innovation Forum Challenge 2016 for our multi-layered development model through technology
• Grand Challenges India award in 2018 for immunization behaviour change through technology.
• Grand Challenges Explorations award in 2018 for promoting vaccine equity in underserved communities.
• Winner of USAID’s WomenConnect Challenge Round One in 2018
• Finalists in the Equals in Tech award in 2018 for helping bridge the digital gender divide.
• Winner under the category of ‘Building beneficiary awareness’ as part of the Ayushman Bharat – PMJAY Start-up grand challenge 2020.
• Winner of World Bank #MissionBillion Challenge
• Inducted as a Member of the ‘Million Lives Club’
• Finalist: Agami prize 2020